Promotion is a marketing activity that's commonly carried out by marketers to provide information on a product and encourage consumers to purchase the product. There are so many ways and media promotion, even the promotion method always develops during the time.
Some people often hear and read about promotions, both promotions in the form of print media, billboards, billboards, radio, television, and the internet. Those who have interests that are in accordance with the advertisement or promotion generally will read the information in the promotion for longer.
Understanding of Promotion According to ExpertsIn order to better understanding what the promotion means, we can refer to the opinions of some experts. Below is an understanding of promotion according to experts:
1. Harper BoydAccording to Boyd, the definition of promotion is an effort to persuade people to accept products, concepts and ideas.
2. SwasthaAccording to Swastha, the promotion is one-way persuasion that is made to influence others who aim at actions that create exchange in marketing.
3. Boone & KurtzAccording to Boone and Kurtz, the definition of promotion is the process of informing, persuading, and influencing a purchasing decision.
4. KotlerAccording to Kotler, the promotion is a part and process of marketing strategy as a way to communicate with the market by using a promotional mix composition.
5. GitosudarmoAccording to Gitosudarmo, the promotion is an activity aimed at influencing consumers so that they know the products offered by the company to them and then they become happy and then buy the product.
The Purpose of PromotionEveryone who promotes something must have a goal to be achieved. Referring to the definition of promotion above, here are some promotional goals in general:
- To disseminate information about a product (goods / services) to the public or potential potential customers.
- To reach out and get new consumers and maintain their loyalty.
- To help increase sales figures while increasing profits.
- To help lift excellence and differentiate a product from products from competitors.
- For branding or creating the image of a product in the eyes of consumers as desired by the company.
- To influence consumer opinion and behavior towards a product.
- So, overall the main purpose of doing a promotion is to increase sales and business profits.
Types of PromotionThere are diverse ways of marketing have created various forms and ways of promotion that are also very diverse. In general, the following are some of the types of promotions that we find today:
1. Physical PromotionPromotions like this can be found at certain events or activities, such as concerts, exhibitions, and others. In this promotional activity, sellers usually open booths to offer their products (goods / services).
Physical promotion has advantages and disadvantages. The advantage of this type of promotion is that it allows entrepreneurs to reach out directly and interact directly with prospective customers.
While the lack of this type of promotion is the limited number of potential customers that can be reached. Activities like this only held at certain locations, such as offices, schools / institutes, malls, etc., so that only people who are in an accessible location.
2. Promotion Through Traditional MediaThis type of promotion was very effective in increasing sales. Some of them are promotions through print media (newspapers, magazines, tabloids, etc.), radio, television, banner ads, billboards, and others.
This type of promotion has its own advantages over physical promotion, which can reach many prospective customers for a long time. However, this type of promotion has disadvantages, the high cost of promotion, both in terms of media and promotion costs.
3. Promotion Through Digital MediaThe development of information technology and media has changed the way of promotion in this digital era. Some promotions through digital media are mostly done through social media, website networks, search engines, and others.
Entrepreneurs nowdays prefer to promote their business through the internet. Because it being cheaper, it can reach many people, and the promotion process is also considered easier and faster.
The advantages of promotion through digital media are cheaper, easier and faster reach, and can reach internet users throughout all around the world.
While the lack of digital promotion is the need for creativity in promoting continuously because there are many competitors who play in it. In other words, the key to the success of digital promotion is on uniqueness and specific on target.
Promotion ExampleActually now, we often see and hear promotions every day, whether through television, smartphones, magazines, and various other media. The following are some examples of promotions that have ever taken place:
- Promotion at a restaurant: Buy Food, Free a Cold Drink.
- Retail sales promotion: Buy 2 pairs of socks, free 1 install socks.
- Telecommunication provider promotion: Calls for 10 minutes can be free to call for 1 hour to the same provider.
- Property sales promotion: Buy a house, get free refrigerator and air conditioner
There are still many examples of promotions that we can find every day. Various promotions aimed at influencing the assessment of prospective customers so they decided to immediately buy.
Thus a brief explanation of the promotion, promotional goals, types of promotions, and examples of promotions. Hope these useful.