Definition of BiographyWhat is agreed with biography? Definition of Biography is an article that describes the story and information about someone's story or story about someone's life.
Etymologically, the word "Biography" comes from Greek, namely "Bios" which means life and "Graphien" which means writing. Biography is kind of writing that discusses someone's life.
Choosing biography is only for figures who are considered important and have interests for many people. Biography can be in the form of short writing in one short article, but it can also be in the form of a book or more than one book.
A personal biography in the form of a short article briefly describes the facts of someone's life. While the biography in the form of a book contains various information and facts about someone who's told in detail and written in an attractive language style.
The Characteristics of BiographyWe can recognize a biographical writing by paying attention to its characteristics. The biographical features are as follows :
- Biography has a standard structure in its manufacture, including orientation, reorientation, and events.
- The contents of the biography are made based on facts (factual) according to the life story of the characters told.
- The style of biography writing is made in the form of narration so that it is more interesting to read.
- There are interesting and inspiring stories in the lives of biographers so that they can influence the reader.
- Biography also contains things that can motivate someone to imitate the life of the character in the biography.
Biography Writing StructureIn general, the structure of the biographical text consists of three parts. Referring to the definition of biography, while the structure of the biography is as follows:
- Orientation, the part in biographical writing that contains the introduction of characters or the initial description of the character being told.
- Events and Problems, parts in biographical writings that contain events that have been experienced by characters. This includes the problems faced in trying to achieve goals, as well as the inspiring experiences experienced by the characters.
- Reorientation, the closing part of a biography and its optional nature. In this section the author gives his views on the characters that told in the biography.
Types of BiographyBiography can be divided into three groups. In accordance with the understanding of the above biography, several types of biographies are as follows:
1. Biography Based on Writing Permission
- Authorized Biography, a biography whose writing has obtained permission or knowledge from the character who will be told the story of his life.
- Unauthorized Biography, a biography whose writing is not with the permission and knowledge of the character who will be told the story of his life. Generally unauthorized biography writing is done because the character to be told has died.
2. Biography based on its contents
- Life Travel Biography, a biography that contains the life journey of a character in full or takes some parts of the life journey that are considered memorable.
- Career Biography, a biography that contains about a character's career journey from the beginning to the current career. Or it can also tell a character's career journey in achieving certain success.
3. Biography Based on Issues Discussed
- Political Biography, a biography that contains the life story of a country's figure from a political point of view. Even though through research, in general political biographies contain the interests of the writer or character told.
- Intellectual Biography, a biography that describes the life story of intellectual figures viewed from a scientific point of view. Intellectual biography is made through various researches and writings using scientific language.
- Based on journalism, the biography of the writing obtained from the results of direct interviews with figures who will be written the story.
4. Publisher Biography
- The book itself, a biography of a character who is made a book by the publisher with production costs starting from writing, printing and marketing is borne by itself. The purpose of writing this biography is to be sold in the market or get public attention.
- Subsidy books, the biographies of figures whose writing costs and production are borne by the sponsor. When viewed from the commercial side, such biographies will not sell or the selling price is too high so it is not affordable.
Thus a brief explanation of the notion of biography, characteristics, structure, and several types of biography. Hopefully this article is useful and improve your knowledge.